The project People’s Empowerment for Addressing Climate Justice and Environmental Justice (PEACE) is designed to reduce climate vulnerability of the climate affected populations in Bangladesh. The project is implemented in 33 villages under 15 unions of 12 upazilas within 10 districts of the country. In Khagrachhari hill district, the project is being implemented in 3 villages of Dighinala upazila.
Donor: Bread for the World through Coastal Development Partnership (CDP). Beneficiaries: Inhabitants of 3 villages from Boalkhali union under Dighinala upazila in Khagrachhari hill district and Students of 2 High Schools. Total number of beneficiaries is 1361 (direct- 211 and indirect- 1150) including students, teachers, villagers, volunteers, women leaders.
Project goal: Developing Gender-sensitive, Pro-poor & Climate Resilient Bangladesh.
Project objectives: To reduce vulnerability and adverse impacts of climate change in Bangladesh through effective and active participation of the extreme poor, socially excluded & most vulnerable communities.
Project duration: April 2014 to March 2017 Project area: Three villages and two schools in Dighinala Upazila Human resource: 04 [a] Project staff (male- 01), [b] Community Volunteer (female- 03)
1. Villagers are capacitated on early caution process including monitoring of weather forecasts;
2. Village-base Climate Risk Reduction Plans developed by the communities;
3. Capacity on adaptation mechanisms of women improved;
4. Knowledge of women on food, nutrition, water and sanitation have been improved;
5. Capacity of farmers on climate sensitive agricultural practices enhanced;
6. Learning points of the project popularized among the school teachers through district-based learning sharing session;
7. Students as future leaders of the society are made aware on the issues of climate change through climate classes;
8. Issues of climate change popularized among the students through climate club activities at two schools;
9. Cross section people are engaged in climate justice movement through the District Climate Justice Network.
10. Local volunteers are capacitated to carry out community mobilization in order to ensure climate justice.